Plan Ahead: Space your meals and snacks 3-5 hours apart to avoid getting too hungry. If you don’t you are prone to overeating and/or making poor food choices when you have meals. Also, if you know where and when you will eat, you can have a better idea of how many snacks to bring with you.
Start Your Day with Breakfast : Skipping breakfast lowers your metabolism. Eating breakfast will jumpstart your metabolism, keep you fully alert in your morning classes, and help keep you from overeating later in the day. Try to eat something with-in one hour of waking up.
Eat Fruits and Vegetables : Strive to include several fruits and vegetables at each meal. Give your body the nutrients it needs and feel energized.
4. Drink Plenty of Water because it is an essential nutrient that keeps your body running smoothly. Even if you are not exercising, your body needs to stay hydrated. Try bringing a water bottle with you around campus.
5. Exercise! Try to Be Active Everyday: Regular exercise and activity can help you to be more connected and respectful of your body, which will in turn prompt you to make better choices with your eating.
6. Keep Healthy Snacks Available: When you have healthy snacks available, your chance of choosing one goes up considerably. Bring one along in your backpack or pick one up conveniently at one of our UNT retail locations.
7. Only Eat when You are Hungry: Be in tune with your body and recognize the difference between hunger and thirst. Also, just because food is free, it does not mean that you have to eat it. Overeating and eating when you are not hungry will lead to weight gain.
8. Be Purposeful of When You are Eating: Being purposeful while choosing and eating meals will add to your enjoyment of the meal and help you make healthier food choices.
9. Manage Your Stress in a Healthy Way: This will help prevent emotional eating and keep you feeling healthier, energized, and ready for school.
10. Avoid fad diets: If you are looking to lose weight, research shows that the best way to lose weight is in a healthy way. That means eating a balanced diet and being active regularly.